Clarification in Croce's Cantate Domino

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
RoofToilet1107

Clarification in Croce's Cantate Domino

Post by RoofToilet1107 »

Hello everyone,

I'm a Highschool music student, and we're singing Giovanni Croce's piece Cantate Domino (which you can find at http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Cant ... nni_Croce) and we're using score number 03994) in our choir, and my director and I were confused on the tenor line, page 3, middle system, measure 5 beat 3 through measure 7 beat 3. Earlier, on page 2, bottom system, measure 5 beat 3 through measure 7 beat 3, it's E flat, C, B natural, C, B natural, C, where as on page 3, it's written as E flat, C, B natural, C, B flat, C. We both think it should be a B flat, but we're not quite sure. Is this just an editing error, or was this written intentionally by Croce?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input and help!
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Clarification in Croce's Cantate Domino

Post by carlos »

Hello

In my opinion all B should be natural in these (identical) sequences. The editor of this edition most probably just forgot to add the natural sign to the last B.

I've listened to three recordings on Youtube and also checked the score at IMSLP and they all confirm the above.

Regards,