How to post chorale (i.e.: hymn) settings in different languages?

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Cdalitz

How to post chorale (i.e.: hymn) settings in different languages?

Post by Cdalitz »

Dear all,

often, I prepare editions of my chorale settings with translations in different languages. I am not sure how to post these editions:
  1. All editions on the same page with only the title of the original language (mostly German). Example: http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Nun_ ... ph_Dalitz)
Solution 1) has the disadvantage that someone, who needs a setting of a chorale that is only known to him in his native language, cannot find the edition. Solution 2) is infeasible for long titles and more than two languages. Solution 3) has the disadvatage of creating several pages that only differ in the text, but not in the music.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that solution 3) is the most user firendly. How do others solve this problem?
Claude_T

Re: How to post chorale (i.e.: hymn) settings in different languages?

Post by Claude_T »

Hi, Christoph,
Thank you for your contributions to CPDL.
Concerning works available under different languages and titles, we use these thoughts:
1. Same music = same page, because, if not, we would search "Stille Nacht" throughout dozens of work pages (I don't even know how to call it in French: "Douce nuit" or "Nuit calme" ?) and because, sometimes, one is looking for a melody or lyrics, without being sure of the CPDL title.
2. Which language to choose for the title? The language the composer gave it first: "Weinachts Oratorium" or "Johannes-Passion", for example.
3. For non-English titles, well known (or even better known) in English, let's add the English title like "Elias (Elijah)".
4. Sorry, no more than two, I'm pretty sure that, if one looks for a work in Latvian, for example, he can search throughout "Works in Latvian", or look for an possible alternate title in English or any other language.
So, feel free to choose your preferred title but, please, divide the 'Music files" parts into "In Esperanto language:" part, for example, with the corresponding Esperanto title, so anyone searching the Esperanto title could find it easily.
I hope you agree.
Claude.
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

please, divide the 'Music files" parts into "In Esperanto language:" part
So the different titles should be given in the "Edition notes"?

There is also the field "Title" under "General information" which is independent of the page title and can be set more than once. I have changed this page accordingly (log in to see my changes):
https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Nun ... ph_Dalitz)

Is this what you mean?
Claude_T

Post by Claude_T »

What I was thinking of is what has been used on "Stille Nacht": http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Stil ... er_Gruber) but the mention under 'Edition notes" also does the trick.
Double 'Title' field is therefore not necessary.
Pierre Bavquet

Post by Pierre Bavquet »

Interesting reply indeed.

I would like to add the Italian original version of the "Dio vi salvi Regina" which has now a Corsican translation as "Diu vi salvi Regina".

According to Wikipedia (and other sources), this song was first written in Italian and became somehow the Corsican national anthem and is often sung in Italian.

I will use the tips given in this thread to have both versions (I am about to upload a 3 voices + organ version in Italian). The problem I have here is that the title of the song has the Corsican spelling (this is not a real problem and I don't want to open a flame with Corsicans :D, but I think that the Italian title is more known), but the biggest problem is that the title has also the name of the person who made the 3-voices adaptation (Angelina Figus here). Of course, Angelina's name shall come along the Corsican version she has posted, no doubt about that, but not in the front title of the song.

Would it be possible to change the page name to "Dio vi salvi Regina" or "Diu vi salvi Regina" only?
Claude_T

Post by Claude_T »

I've merged the pages under the original title and composer name.
I also added the {{Arranger|Angelina Figus}} template to her edition, thus making appear that work as one of her compositions.
So everybody should be satisfied.