error message with addworks

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Richard Mix

error message with addworks

Post by Richard Mix »

For several days I've been seeing this:

[XuCu84qolXOdTlDxub2LUAAAAMU] /wiki/index.php/AddWorkCode Error from line 322 of /home/choralwi/public_html/wiki/extensions/ChoralWiki/CreateAddWorkCode.php: Call to a member function isKnown() on null
Backtrace:
#0 /home/choralwi/public_html/wiki/includes/Hooks.php(174): CreateAddWorkCode(OutputPage, SkinVector)
#1 /home/choralwi/public_html/wiki/includes/Hooks.php(234): Hooks::callHook(string, array, array, NULL, string)
#2 /home/choralwi/public_html/wiki/includes/OutputPage.php(2720): Hooks::runWithoutAbort(string, array)
#3 /home/choralwi/public_html/wiki/includes/MediaWiki.php(872): OutputPage->output(boolean)
#4 /home/choralwi/public_html/wiki/includes/MediaWiki.php(884): MediaWiki->{closure}()
#5 /home/choralwi/public_html/wiki/includes/MediaWiki.php(515): MediaWiki->main()
#6 /home/choralwi/public_html/wiki/index.php(42): MediaWiki->run()
#7 {main}

Is my filling in of the AddWorkForm lost work?
choralia
Site Admin

Re: error message with addworks

Post by choralia »

I was unable to reproduce the problem.

It seems that the Mediawiki session was unexpectedly closed, and information about the work page to be added or edited was lost. The system was trying to check that the work page was existing already on a non-existing Mediawiki object.

Mediawiki sessions are kept active by session cookies, so I wonder if there was something wrong with the browser's cookie settings. Is the problem persisting?

Max
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Hi Max,

Thanks for the explanation. I logged out and am back in business, after figuring out that I didn't really want AddWorkForm or Form:Add work. The Help:Score submission guide really could use rewriting, it seems.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Richard Mix wrote: 13 Jun 2020 08:19 The Help:Score submission guide really could use rewriting, it seems.
What do you mean? It is not clear to me.

This problem is actually just a sub-case of a more general issue: if a user starts performing an action that is only allowed to logged-in users (such as editing a page, uploading a file, etc.), and the user logs out through another browser's window or tab (or the logged-in permissions are lost for any other reasons), the action previously undertaken will abort. For example, clicking the "file upload" button after having selected the file to be uploaded, or saving the page after editing and preview, will not be accepted, and error messages will be likely displayed. So, if some kind of warnings are to be added for these circumstances, I think that they should be general, and not just referred to the score submission guide.

Max
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Sorry: to be clearer, I mean that after I logged back in I couldn't remember how to again find the form and had to run quite a maze. After typing AddWorkForm and Add work, I returned to the main page, clicked "Add work", scrolled to "Add Choral/Solo Vocal Work, or New Edition" which took me to "Help:Automated add score process", where I went to step 2 and clicked "Score submission guide - Adding new edition information" which led to "Help:Score_submission_guide#Adding_new_edition_information" which really wasn't much help; in desperation I tried typing in the search box till I hit on "Form:Add work". If instead one starts with the "Help:Score submission guide" one can click step 5, ""Add works" form." and end up a a blank "Form:Add work" page. I can imagine less persistent users starting to get discouraged!
marchesa

Post by marchesa »

I am having the same problem. I've been a contributor for more than 17 years, I go back to the Raf Ornes days. Everything I can find regarding {NewWork} or {AddWork} leads in dead circles to dead pages for the template definition or to the very outdated instructions with either no links or links to the dead definitions pages. Please let me know how and where to add new works. I can't even do it the old way, because the list of compositions on the composer page is drawn from auto populating comands. Paul Marchesano ~~~~
Claude_T

Post by Claude_T »

1. If you want to add a new work page regarding an existing composer, going to its composer page and clicking on 'Add new work' will make the AddWork form appear.
2. If you want to add a new edition on an existing work page, navigating to the work page and clicking on 'Add new edition' will make the AddWork form appear.
Isn't that fair?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I'm a little bit puzzled because I don't understand how these complaints relate to the subject of the topic.

Anyway, detailed instructions are provided by clicking on the "Add scores to CPDL" link, which is available on the left side menu of all pages:

addscore.gif
addscore.gif (27.95 KiB) Viewed 29697 times
I wrote most of these instructions, and it is possible that they are not clear enough because I'm not a native English speaker. Please feel free to improve them.

Max
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Sorry; I did indeed introduce a new topic.

The left side menu is an example of yet another fork: the "Add scores to CPDL" link points to [[ChoralWiki:Add Music]], a redirect to [[Help:Automated add score process]]. On the Main page, "Volunteer at CPDL/Add scores" points instead to [[Help:Add Music]], with its own confusing branches. It looks like there really needs to be some pruning of the overgrowth, something I've been reluctant to undertake till I understand what the preferred updated method actually is. At [[Help:Score submission guide]] I tried clarifying things, but the blue [[Add work]] link no longer goes where I intended http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Form_talk:Add_work . Can we start labeling which Choralwiki: and Help: pages are deprecated?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I'd like to remind this post by me, dated August 2017. A checkbox had been just added to the automatic add work form so that the same form can be also used by those who prefer the manual process. Then I wrote:
The old process will remain available for the moment. I plan to remove it in the future, as it is now redundant. It will be necessary to update the documentation first, though.
It seems that almost three years have passed, and the documentation needs to be updated, as it still contains "debris" of the old manual process. Am I supposed to also do that? As Choralwiki is a collaborative website, a little bit of collaboration would be very welcome...

Let's set a deadline. I'll remove the old process at the end of August 2020: three years for transitioning are more than enough. Please collaborate to fix the documentation by that date.

Max
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Glad to chip in as I'm able, Max, but I don't even know what the old process is anymore. Better than a deadline might be simply labeling out of date documentation with pointers to whatever the current process is supposed to be. Would I be able to help figure this out by looking at help-page histories?

If I understand you (?) the main page might be edited to say something a bit like:

[[Help:Automated add score process]] describes the automated process for adding scores. Users more familiar with the old manual process can still begin at [[Help:Add Music]], or perhaps instead at the [[Help:Score submission guide]] listed among [[:Category:CPDL how-to]] guides.

Or am I perhaps still too confused?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I think that the "Add scores to CPDL" link on the left side menu can still link to [[Help:Automated add score process]] (maybe we can remove the re-direction through [[ChoralWiki:Add Music]]).

Let's go step by step then. I've just amended the page [[Help:Automated add score process]] to reflect the current situation. Please feel free to improve it. Then we will probably have to amend the other pages linked to [[Help:Automated add score process]], such as [[Help:Automating the work list on composer pages]] and [[Help:Score submission guide]], too.

Max
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Great, I've started to fiddle with [[Help:Automated_add_score_process]]. I'm not sure what happens when one fills in a new composer name: does it appear in black with a blue superscript prompt to create a composer page? Or should there be a Form:New composer pointer?

Can the nutshell process at the top of http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Help ... sion_guide be salvaged, or is a shortcut to the Add work form no longer possible?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Richard Mix wrote: 04 Jul 2020 23:23 I'm not sure what happens when one fills in a new composer name
A new composer page is automatically created, and initialized using the {{subst:new composer}} template. I've just created a new composer page for Annibale Orgas, this is the way a new composer page looks like immediately after the page is created (birth and death dates are yet to be added, as well as a bio and category details).
Richard Mix wrote: 04 Jul 2020 23:23 Can the nutshell process at the top of http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Help ... sion_guide be salvaged, or is a shortcut to the Add work form no longer possible?
The objective is to completely remove the traditional process, and thus the shortcut to the old Add work form, too, because maintaining the two processes in parallel is quite cumbersome, and the compatibility with the traditional process limits the possible improvements that can be done to the automated process.

I think that we may preserve the entire [[Help:Score submission guide]] page for historical reasons (also because it is translated into several languages), and create new pages for all sections of [[Help:Score submission guide]] that are currently referenced from [[Help:Automated add score process]]. The [[Help:Score submission guide]] will be then amended with a note saying that it's a obsolete page, and the link to the old Add work form inside it will be removed. OK?

Max
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Don't the new and old processes both involve filling out the same form? Now instead of one set of instructions there are 3 different ways to get to 'step 2' with various amounts of information pre-filled-in, which is more confusing instead of less. I'm afraid I still don't understand what is being phased out and what preserved.