Source/author and copyright fields for translations?

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Cdalitz

Source/author and copyright fields for translations?

Post by Cdalitz »

Whilst there are both author (composer) and copyright (per edition) tags for musical settings, it seems to me that the same is missing for translations. Apprently everyone tries to find an ad hoc workaround by eihter ommitting this information altogether (which makes the copyright status unclear and thus the translations not useable, e.g. for concert notes), or by adding free text with this information, e.g. in italics or so.

Questions:
  1. What is currently the preferred way to indicate author/source/date and copyright for a translation?
  2. Are there plans to provide a systematic way for entering this information?
BarryJ

Re: Source/author and copyright fields for translations?

Post by BarryJ »

Cdalitz wrote:Whilst there are both author (composer) and copyright (per edition) tags for musical settings, it seems to me that the same is missing for translations.
I agree that there is not a satisfactory way to properly attribute translations as to author and place and date of publication. The same is true of original texts as well: the whole system of correctly attributing texts (both original and translated) needs careful re-design. This is an issue which has been recently identified. I will do what I can, but it likely to take some time.

I don't know much about the copyright topic in your questions, but it does seem to merit further discussion.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.