Downloading Sibelius files

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
tim_uk

Downloading Sibelius files

Post by tim_uk »

I don't seem to be able to download Sibelius files. No problem with pdf. But when I click on the Sibelius logo, I invariably get a screenful of text. I am using Chrome on Windows 11. Any ideas? Thanks
Claude_T

Re: Downloading Sibelius files

Post by Claude_T »

You must have the Sibelius program and have .sib files associated with that application.
Or use MXL file instead, they will be imported in any other music notation software, bought (Finale, Capella, etc.) or not (MuseScore).
tim_uk

Post by tim_uk »

Thank you - I do have Sibelius, which is why I'd prefer to download that .sib format file, rather than XML files which tend to need quite a bit of tidying up. To clarify my original post, when I click on the Sibelius file icon on CPDL I don't get any downloaded file at all, just a screenload of text.
Claude_T

Post by Claude_T »

Have you tried to download any other Sibelius file?
Do you have an older version of Sibelius, older than the file you try to open?
Or delete the (perhaps) incompletely downloaded file (compare file size shown on our page and on your side) and retry.
Let us know what happens.
tim_uk

Post by tim_uk »

I have frequently and successfully downloaded Sibelius files from elsewhere. I have the latest version of Sibelius Ultimate v.2021-12.
There is nothing to delete - nothing at all downloads; I just get a screenful of text.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

The same happens to me if I use Chrome: for some reasons, Chrome thinks that a .sib file can be opened right away as a text file, rather being forwarded to Sibelius. Mozilla Firefox instead correctly offers the option to either open the file in Sibelius, or to download it.

Workaround for Chrome: right-click on Sibelius icon, and select "save link as...". This will save the Sibelius file to your download folder.

Max
tim_uk

Post by tim_uk »

Thank you, Choralia. That works for me!!
Claude_T

Post by Claude_T »

Thanks, Max. (I was using Firefox)
jamesgibb

Post by jamesgibb »

I've had the same problem with Capella files. It does seem to be an issue with Google Chrome, since I didn't have the problem using Microsoft Edge. I needed to use "save link as", rather than downloading it directly though.
James Gibb
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I've tweaked some server settings to help browsers making a decision on what to do when certain file types are encountered. Could you please check what happens with your browsers?

Max