Withdrawal of work

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Anselm

Withdrawal of work

Post by Anselm »

I'd like to delete my piece What's in a name?, which is the only piece under my account. It's my own composition, so the copyright is CPDL's. I've revised it so heavily that it's to all intents and purposes a new work. I understand that withdrawing means archiving, in the event that people may have downloaded it in the meantime, and that you handle this. Is that correct? Thanks.
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Withdrawal of work

Post by choralia »

The withdrawal of a work published on CPDL has no practical effects: the copies already downloaded remain subject to the original license conditions, so they may be re-published everywhere (even on CPDL again) by anybody, as well as performed, recorded, etc., provided that the original license conditions are met (i.e., the editor/composer is credited, etc.). So, your work can be withdrawn from the CPDL website, however nothing changes in practice.

if you have made a new version of the same work, I would suggest to leave the old version as it is, and publish the new version with a (slightly) different title (such as: 2022 version, or something like that). This would make the situation more clear for everybody.

Max
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Hi, Anselm--

Do you still want CPDL to withdraw the work given what Max explained, or are you thinking you'll replace it with a newer version?
Anselm

Post by Anselm »

Hi vaarky

Firstly, apologies for the ridiculously late answer to this message. My time and attention has been completely consumed by a career change, and everything else has had to go on the back burner during that time.

The answer to your question is that I'd ideally like CPDL to withdraw the work from the CPDL website, fully understanding that any use already made of it will not be affected. That will mean that it would be as if I'd never submitted it to the website in the first place. Is that right? When it's gone, I can submit the new version as a fresh piece. Would this be acceptable, as opposed to posting it separately as a later version of an existing, already posted work? I'd just rather not have the original version hanging around if possible, because the new version is so radically different. Practically every bar has been changed, and one whole section has been excised.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Anselm wrote: 30 Jul 2023 21:02 That will mean that it would be as if I'd never submitted it to the website in the first place. Is that right?
No, it isn't right. Anyone can use the old version of the work according to the original license conditions, for ever, and regardless the work is withdrawn or not. I suggest to publish the new version with a (slightly) different title so that everybody can understand that it's not the same work that they may have previously downloaded, and maybe switch to the new one.

Max
Anselm

Post by Anselm »

OK, thanks, I'll do that in the next few days.