AddWorks form probs

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
drking

AddWorks form probs

Post by drking »

I've managed to add 3 new works pages, and subsequently filled in AddWorks forms and got an email from which I copied the code. However there didn't seem to be a 'submit' button - the only possibilitiy was a small 'add works' button, which took me to some help and a description of adding works, that didn't help.

The first time I thought I'd let the system add the code for me, but it didn't, though I got an email. The second and third times I asked it to let me add the code myself, which I'm comfortable with.

I'm now trying to add a new edition to an existing page. I've uploaded the files through the addworks page, but not got an email, and the addworks page has failed/timed out.

I know the urls of the files I added, but I cannot simply generate the code as I need a cpdl number for the added edition. I think. eg "CPDL #74014:"

Other people seem to manage, so it must be me... Sorry - but I'm stuck
David
Claude_T

Re: AddWorks form probs

Post by Claude_T »

1. Adding a new WORK page with its first edition:
on the COMPOSER page you click on "Add new WORK"
then fill the AddWork form AND upload each file during same process.
At bottom of the form, just above the 'Add Data' button, you read:
"Do not automatically add wiki code to the pages, I will do it manually", a checkbox.
If you don't check the box, wiki code will be added for you.
You'll receive all the wiki code by mail just to notice the server has received your data.

2. Adding a new EDITION to an existing work page:
on the work page, click on "Add new EDITION"
The same AddWork form opens prefilled with work data.
You have to fill file(s) data AND upload corresponding file(s).
Again, if you don't check the box, wiki code will be added for you.
You'll receive all the wiki code by mail just to notice the server has received your data.

3. If you've already uploaded files, just cut and paste the exact file name in the regarding line of the form, without uploading file again.
drking

Post by drking »

Thank you.

So, it seems that the small Add Works button should actually submit the form. I've now filled in the form again, using the file names. Then I clicked the Add Works button. What I'd expect to happen is that I'd get some acknowledgement of success or failure. Instead I got the composer's page:

https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/William_Byrd

So I've no idea if I might get an email at some stage - I don't know if it recognised the file names or not, or whether there was some other problem. Why it wants to show me a page that is irrelevant is a mystery. It looks like it is choosing some semi-random page to show after the button is clicked.

This is a lot of hard work, for something that 10 years ago was rather easy.....

Sigh...

but thanks for writing :)

David

FF browser (current) btw
Claude_T

Post by Claude_T »

drking wrote: 07 Jun 2023 09:26 What I'd expect to happen is that I'd get some acknowledgement of success or failure. Instead I got the composer's page:
https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/William_Byrd
...where you can check that your new work page is now present
or
where you are one click away (clicking on the work title) of checking that your EDITION appears with its brand new edition number and your copyright choice
drking wrote: 07 Jun 2023 09:26 So I've no idea if I might get an email at some stage...
This is a lot of hard work, for something that 10 years ago was rather easy.
At the contrary, it was then rather painful:
you had to wait for a mail with wiki code inside,
then cut and paste it on the server in edition mode in due place (without losses or superfluous lines).
Now, you don't even want to read the mail and see the wiki code, because it's automatically added in due place, without errors, for you
OR
wait days, or weeks or months for an admin to do the work for you.
Personnally, I won't do that for you because it's personal data about edition notes and choice of copyright.
drking

Post by drking »

Thanks. But I still expect to get some acknowledgement of success or failure. Especially as failure has been the norm.

In fact there were and are issues on the composer's page; I made a manual attempt to improve it.

I'm sorry you found it painful in the past - I had no problems then with simple copy/paste. I'm afraid the current system has confused me and not worked well, even on the 4th time of uploading something.

But I'm nearly done now.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

The so-called "automated process" to add new works/editions was introduced by me at the end of year 2013.

From 2008 to 2013, when only the "manual process" was available, the average number of new editions added yearly was around 2,500.

From 2014 to 2022, i.e., after the introduction of the automated process, the average number of new editions added yearly was around 4,600. So, it almost doubled.

I guess that at least part of the above result is due to the automated process, which is especially user-friendly for those who are not familiar with the wiki code editing. Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Max
Annabelmalton1

Post by Annabelmalton1 »

I have been trying to upload a new work (Magnificat) to the Cozzolani page. I think I have uploaded the PDF, midi file and MXL file but then I just got an internal error message. If I try again, it says that there are already files of the same name, so I must have done it. But it doesn't show up on the Composer page at all. How do I get it to display properly and link to the files that I have uploaded? Thanks Annabel
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Hi Annabel,

Please try again, however, as the files have been uploaded already, just run the "AddWork" form, and complete the form by entering the precise names of the files you uploaded (do not upload them again - ignore the "upload now" button):

Magnificat -primo- - Full Score.pdf
CozMagnificat.mid
CozMagnificat.mxl

Alternatively, just enter dummy filenames, and we will update the page with the correct filenames then.

If the internal error message persists, please provide any details about the error message, so that we can possibly trace the cause.

Max