Multiple-part upload

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Richard Fairhurst

Multiple-part upload

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Hi,

I've scanned and uploaded the Parish Psalter with Chants, edited by Sydney H Nicholson. Nicholson died in 1947 (and all the composers of the chants used in the book died before then), so it's now happily out of copyright.

Because it's a big volume (236 pages), I've had to split it up into five PDFs to stay beneath the 16MB filesize limit while retaining acceptable quality.

I've created a works page, but this only has the first part on it. I've uploaded the remaining four parts, but couldn't readily see how to add them to the works page while still giving them CPDL numbers. Would one of the admins be able to fix this?

Thank you for everything you do.

Richard
Claude_T

Re: Multiple-part upload

Post by Claude_T »

I've linked the other parts under the same edition number.
This doesn't mean that your copyright assertion is correct anyway. Other admins may intervene about that.
Richard Fairhurst

Thank you!

The copyright's pretty straightforward - Nicholson died in 1947 so the copyright expired at the end of 2017 in the UK (Copyright, Designs & Patents Act I.12.2). The scanned edition is from 1932 (reprinted 1943) so any typographical copyright has long since expired. I've checked the death dates of the composers of the individual chants in Humphreys and Evans' 'Dictionary of Composers for the Church in Great Britain and Ireland' and they're all long pre-1947.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

CPDL is based in the US, so we have to consider the US copyright status. Did you check what's the US copyright status before uploading?

Max
Richard Fairhurst

Ah, if that's the case then it may be more complex. Probably best to delete it and people can download from IMSLP instead.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Apparently no copyright renewal occurred after 28 years from publication: I found nothing in the US Catalogue of Copyright Entries. It is probably public domain then. The copyright review process performed at IMSLP seems to agree on this. I'm one of the IMSLP copyright reviewers, however this score was not reviewed by me, so my own search in the US Catalogue of Copyright Entries is completely independent.

Max
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

I propose to change this to a publication page, rather than a work page. Then the individual works in the publication can be listed and linked to their composers.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

Changed to a publication page; all works listed. Feel free to make changes as needed.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.