How to present the Genre information

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Re: How to present the Genre information

Post by CHGiffen »

Re 2 - Sacred music. I have never viewed this as referring exclusively to sacred Christian music. To do so would exclude, among others, sacred Jewish music (of which quite a bit is available at CPDL). Sure, the vast majority of sacred music at CPDL is Christian, but CPDL is a word-wide, international repository of choral music, and to exclude Jewish, Hindu, Arabic, and other sacred music of other cultures would be wrong.

Side note about capitalisation: "Shape Notes" and "Evening Canticles" (to mention just two instances) should be "Shape notes" and "Evening canticles" (this latter was pointed out previously) - in keeping with such things as "Office hymns", "Anglican chants", "Funeral odes", "Votive antiiphons", and the like.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
Claude_T

Post by Claude_T »

I agree you two points, Chuck.
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

Thank you, Chuck. I stand corrected.

About capitalization, I agree with you, and I will make the corrections as you ask. This is standard practice in MediaWiki. Does "General Information" also need correction?
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

(Pace Chuck, but the Book of Common Prayer is consistent about capitalizing Canticle. The big source of confusion is whether the category should be used only for paired Mag/Nunc or for all Evening Canticles.)

One set of permutations would seem to be Sacred, Secular, either, neither, both. "Textless" might be … neither, unless intended to be hummed for an Elevation, in which case it's Sacred, or whistled for a dance, which might imply Secular. Is "dual" either, or both at once?

Of course 'sacred' is not confined to Christian or even abrahamic uses, as can be inferred from Category:Pagan music and Category:Masonic music. That "Sacred music by season" generalizes no further than some types of Western Christianity is no more than a reflection of my limited expertise.

One could imagine different ways of slicing: liturgical, devotional, instructional, entertaining, bawdy. I'm guessing "Secular" was originally felt useful for educators anxious to avoid the US Constitution's Establishment Clause. The original use of "secular" was for uncloistered settings: it used to amaze me that in religeous context cathedrals are 'secular' institutions.