Template for new music publications

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
BarryJ

Template for new music publications

Post by BarryJ »

There is now a template for use in creating new publication pages, Template:NewPublication. Comments or suggestions for improvement are welcome.
I am working on a form, it might take a while.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
Claude_T

Re: Template for new music publications

Post by Claude_T »

Thanks, Barry.
GeoffG

Post by GeoffG »

This is great!

I have created several Publication pages lately and I am always worried about forgetting an important field.

I have been including "Known Editions:", to mention reprints and variations, and "Facsimiles:", to link to the facsimiles I've been referring to. Are these useful enough fields to include in the template, or should I enter this information under "Description" and "References"/"External Links"?

Geoff
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

Thanks for the suggestions!
These are both used in quite a few publication pages. I will add them to the template.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
Nikolaus Hold

Post by Nikolaus Hold »

Inline documentation
{{subst:newpublication}}
is misleading. It only worked for me with upper / lower case.
cjshawcj

Post by cjshawcj »

I think that a column for season/liturgical use may prove useful to some (not me personally)

In passim I should like to mention a glitch that I have encountered, which does not seem to have been commented on to date. When the Voices (forces) column has a choice of multiple voicings, it ignores them all.
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

Nicholas Hold wrote:Inline documentation {{subst:newpublication}} is misleading. It only worked for me with upper / lower case.
This is fixed now. NewPublication, Newpublication, and newpublication all work.
Christopher Shaw wrote:I think that a column for season/liturgical use may prove useful to some (not me personally)
Correct me if I'm wrong – this comment is about MultiPubList, I think. This has been suggested by several people. The program that creates the table produces columns for template parameters on each work page. This shouldn't be too difficult to do for the works that have a seasonal category already assigned. I will work on it. Are the categories in Category:Sacred music by season sufficient?
Christopher Shaw wrote:In passim I should like to mention a glitch that I have encountered, which does not seem to have been commented on to date. When the Voices (forces) column has a choice of multiple voicings, it ignores them all.
This is an consequence of the MultiPubList program, that only one template parameter can be specified for each column. The Voicing template was chosen, because it is used much more commonly (>99% of work pages); I could add a column for MultiVoicing, but it would be blank for a lot of works in most tables. I would like to point out that Voicing is flexible: it allows up to six voicings in parameter 2.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

BarryJ wrote: 22 Aug 2020 15:35 There is now a template for use in creating new publication pages, Template:NewPublication. Comments or suggestions for improvement are welcome.
That's great, thanks Barry! Just note that the other similar templates ( "New composer", "New editor", "New lyricist", "New text" ) all have a space in the title. Do you think it's worth doing the same with this one, for easier memorization?

(I particularly am not very fond of CamelCase, because I prefer to type template names in all lower case)