Locations of PDFs

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
RMD

Locations of PDFs

Post by RMD »

Hello.
I want to remove the links to my own website for all my submitted works, upload the PDFs to the cpdl server and substitute local cpdl links on the pages.
Before I screw things up by experimenting, please could you let me know the procedure? Many thanks.
Robin Doveton

Visit my website
www.doveton-music.de
for folksong arrangements and more!
Claude_T

Re: Locations of PDFs

Post by Claude_T »

It's a good idea to change external links into internal ones, as we've seen hundreds of external links broken after changes on corresponding external sites.
1. Please have your file name specific enough to not overwrite an existing one on our servers. Upload the file clicking on 'Upload a file' in the left pane of any CPDL page, browse your computer then click on your file name.
2. On the work page, in lieu of the external link, create the internal one with the following form :
[[Media:File_name.pdf|{{pdf}}]] [[Media:File_name.mxl|{{XML}}]]

I suggest just two files, PDF and MXL (compressed MusicXML) because, with an MXL, you don't need to add MIDI/MP3 files, nor other pitch-changed scores.
You'll easily export your source file as an MXL one if you use MuseScore or recent versions of Finale, Sibelius, Capella, etc.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Please note that step 2 can be also done as follows:

2a. From the File: page of the file just uploaded, click on the "Add file to ediion" tab on the top-right side of the page;

2b. Enter the edition number the file has to be associated to, and select the file type from the dropdown menu (click on the picture to enlarge):

addfile.gif

A [[Media:...]] internal link will be automatically added to the the edition selected. Then delete the link (or links) to the external file (or files), now obsolete.

Max
RMD

Post by RMD »

Many thanks to you both.

If I don't upload .mxl versions it is because I find, from experience, that editing a downloaded .mxl file usually takes longer than just making a new copy. These are the main problems I have experienced:

1) the indisciminate way in which the lyrics of the various voices are just dumped all together rather than ordered by voice, so that any change to the lyrics or underlay messes up all voices.
2) the nuisance of having to reorder staves, which are almost always muddled up.
3) having to redo text in the score so that it is correctly attached either to a note or to the page depending on whether it is a dynamic or, say, a footnote or title.

All this is a great shame as the concept is a good one. Maybe some programmes are better at encoding .mxl than others.
Robin Doveton

Visit my website
www.doveton-music.de
for folksong arrangements and more!
Claude_T

Post by Claude_T »

We understand your thoughts.
Anyway, many users/conductors prefer to get a partial content than having to reconstruct the whole thing,
for example if they want to change only the pitch or only the tempo, or remove a voice,
or produce a MIDI file (that can be efficient without the lyrics),
to adapt the score to their needs.