Music without words

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
cjshawcj

Music without words

Post by cjshawcj »

There are some instrumental interludes, as part of larger works, included on this site of necessity for completeness (esp. Purcell odes and anthems). I myself have appended instrumental versions as bonus tracks to chansons. Otherwise, this site is reserved for Choral works; exclusively instrumental items are excluded, even if they pretend to be choral ("Song without words", "In nomine", etc). The C in CPDL is perhaps the most important of the site's three fundamental aspects.

I notice ten (? and increasing) exclusively instrumental works currently posted as compositions by Thomas Mancinus. Why? They do not seem of such overweening importance that an exception should be made for this composer; they have no place on this site, unless its objectives are to be altered. Allowing them here sets an intellectually redundant precedent.
Cdalitz

Re: The C word

Post by Cdalitz »

I agree that purely instrumental music should be posted elsewhere, e.g. on IMSLP, which already has an entry for Thomas Mancinus (it only has one entry, a vocal collection, but IMSLP is for vocal and instrumental music alike):

https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Mancinus,_Thomas

Can someone of the CPDL administrators contact the editor of the insturmental pieces by Mancinus?

@cgz: I do not know whether it is possible to change the title of a thread here in the forums, but if yes, please change it to a title that is related to the question, e.g. "Purely instrumental music on CPDL". A non-descriptive (and in this case even weird) title will lead most readers to skipping reading the post.
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Music without words

Post by choralia »

I don't think that these works by Mancinus are truly instrumental: most of them are "bicinia", i.e., two-voice works that may be used as exercises for voice or instrument (e.g., one may sing them with "la la la" or whatever else); others are more clearly written for multiple human voices, like "Gagliarda":

gagliarda.png
gagliarda.png (10.73 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
We already have a category for works that "have been categorized as having onomatopoeic text or vocalise", and these works have been associated to that category already.

So, I think that they can stay on the CPDL website.
Cdalitz wrote: 18 Mar 2024 16:36 I do not know whether it is possible to change the title of a thread here in the forums
Done. There is a function named "split topic" that allows to split one topic into multiple topics, and it actually renames the whole thread if all topics are moved to a new topic. This function may be only available to administrators and moderators, though.

Max
cjshawcj

Re: Music without words

Post by cjshawcj »

The term bicinium is used to mean a didactic teaching tool, to singing or composition, to playing or to singing. Each example has one of these uses, not all three simultaneously. Bicinia to be sung have text (of which there many examples on here). Bicinia for instruments are untexted: those on this site are entitled "sine textu", which to me indicates their true use. Although there are minor examples of syllabic freedom at this time (Hey nonny no-dom, and cod-Irish "gaelic" choruses come to mind), it is absolutely anachronistic to claim that vocal text was freely improvised: that is a twentieth century American vulgarization (scat singing).
I supposed that you will say that the Fantasia is also for textual improvisation.
I cannot argue with your contention that "others are more clearly written for multiple human voices, like "Gagliarda"". There are no nuances; just plain contradiction. Why claim for the human voice a dance annotated in chest of viols cleffing?

I am surprised that you came to the conclusion you did. But then, perhaps CPDL is joining the culture wars, and binary distinctions are to be abandoned contrary to reason. Accepting self-evidently instrumental items on a vocal site is small change, when one has been assured that women can have a knobkerrie (substitution for Denis (looky-likey) to avoid automatic censorship: what about my truth and my feelings?).

Thank you for altering my title: obviously the complainer (who is so much more at home in a fictitious language), has a clearer grasp of the nuances intended than I did.

Happy Easter.