Proposal to rename Bach's cantatas

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
carlos
Site Admin

Proposal to rename Bach's cantatas

Post by carlos »

Currently, Bach's cantatas on CPDL follow a rather unique convention:

Cantata BWV 1 - Wie schön leuchtet der Morgenstern (Johann Sebastian Bach)

I suggest to rename them to the more conventional titles of the form:

Wie schön leuchtet der Morgenstern, BWV 1 (Johann Sebastian Bach)

That's the title convention in use on Wikipedia and IMSLP. Current titles could be kept as redirects to the new titles, so that anyone typing "Cantata BWV 122" in the search box will still see it appearing in the suggestions list.

What do you think of this? All opinions are welcome.
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration
pateceramics

Re: Proposal to rename Bach's cantatas

Post by pateceramics »

I'm in favor of anything that helps make the site more intuitively searchable. Good idea!

-M. Furtak
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

I'm neutral on the renaming.

However, I don't see how this would necessarily make the site more searchable. Anyone searching by title can still do so using the search function, or by going to Bach's page which is sorted alphabetically. Where would it make things more searchable?

BTW, do we have a page indexing his works sorted by BWV number? That may be useful for anyone wishing to see what's missing on CPDL or who is taking the works in order for any other reason (I know a group that sings through all his Cantatas, for example, two each month, and tracks their progress/history). Is it worth finding a volunteer to create this page that can then be linked to from Bach's composer page?
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

On the Bach composer page, right under the List of Choral Works heading is a link to a page with the Bach cantatas sorted by BWV number. The URL is http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Joha ... f_cantatas
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Tx--sorry I overlooked that. Then I'm doubly neutral about the renaming. :)
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

vaarky wrote:However, I don't see how this would necessarily make the site more searchable. Anyone searching by title can still do so using the search function, or by going to Bach's page which is sorted alphabetically. Where would it make things more searchable?
Vaarky, when we type the first letters of a title on the Search box, it usually brings a list of title suggestions. Someone typing "Wie sch" would immediately find what they were looking for, without having to click on the search button and then browse a list of results.
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Thanks Carlos for gathering discussions now on at least 4 pages! it looks like there's a consensus not to have composer-specific conventions.
joachim

Post by joachim »

I think it would be in everybody's interest to have uniform titles between cpdl, imslp and other sources. Not much to be gained from playing the odd one out.

Joachim
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Thanks for your input, Richard and Joachim!
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

[[Johann Sebastian Bach/BWV list]] is a list (by BWV "number") of Johann Sebastian Bach's works available at CPDL.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.