Lyricist pages: LyricistSettingsList

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
BarryJ

Lyricist pages: LyricistSettingsList

Post by BarryJ »

Hello,
The template LyricistSettingsList is commonly used on Lyricist pages. I propose a new template for large-content pages, in the style of certain text pages (the Psalms, for example), that are partially automated using the template TextAutoList and the hidden category Text pages with automated partial lists. My proposal is a new template, LyricistAutoList, and a new category, Lyricist pages with automated partial lists. More details can be found at http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/User ... stAutoList and http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Cate ... categories. I have compiled a manual list for the Isaac Watts page, that can be seen at http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/User ... irst_Lines. Of course, these ideas probably need tweaking before they can be implemented.
Would this be useful?
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Lyricist pages: LyricistSettingsList

Post by carlos »

Hi Barry,

I'm not sure I understood your proposal. Creation of TextAutoList was necessary because people didn't want to shift to TextSettingsList, which would make Text pages completely automated. So now, they are maintained by hand, and TextAutoList just helps us to know which works are left out of the manual list.

Lyricist pages, on the other hand, are currently totally automated, so a LyricistAutoList would not be necessary unless your intention is to create a manually maintained Lyricist page. Is that what you have in mind?
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

Hi Carlos,
Thank you for the history, it explains a lot. Yes, having a manually maintained lyricist page is what I had in mind, so that users can easily see texts and their sources. I don't see the need for very many of them, less than ten, perhaps (and I have been working on a draft of the Isaac Watts page, link cited in my first message). I have tried several times to better automate the lyricist page but have run out of ideas.
However, with your explanation, I can see that my proposal might make things more difficult for you. If that is true, then leave it the way it is.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi Barry,

Automated lists are fine, but I'm OK with a couple of exceptions. :wink:

I've seen your draft of the Isaac Watts page and it looks very good. I think your idea is worth a try. Would you like to create the new template yourself, or would you prefer me to do it?
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

Hi Carlos,
Thanks very much! I would like to give the template a try; I need the practice. (I have a beginning at this page) May I get back to you if I need help? :)
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Bcjohnston523 wrote:May I get back to you if I need help? :)
Sure! I'll follow that page. If the need arises, just write on its associated discussion page and I'll reply there too.
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

Done! I had to simplify the template somewhat to get it to work, it may need changes.
Also got the Isaac Watts and Henry Alline pages done. What do you think?
Thanks again!
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Bcjohnston523 wrote:What do you think?
Way to go! The template seems to be working flawlessly.

Regards,
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration