Strange experience on CPDL

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
Wilbour

Strange experience on CPDL

Post by Wilbour »

I had a strange experience on CPDL today. I looked for scores by Dominique Phinot (http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Dominique_Phinot) and came to the page bellow (first inserted screen shot in attached pdf file). There were no links to any score pages on this page, so I called Blackwell's Bookshop, the score department. The nice lady I spoke to said that they could not presently get scores by Phinot, but suggested me to look at CPDL. There, she could see an identical page to the one I could see, but with one exception, it also had a section "Other works not listed above" not included on the page I could see. We compared the URLs of the pages we were looking at, and found them identical. She sent me an email with a screen shot, so I could see what she had seen, as well as a link to that page. When I clicked the link in her email (http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Dominique_Phinot, the same URL as I had used at first, as far as I can see), I came to the page she had seen (second inserted screen shot). I saw for myself this extra section, thus same URL - two different pages! How is this possible? Have I missed something?
Attachments
I had a strange experience on CPDL today.pdf
(289.34 KiB) Downloaded 1111 times
Claude_T

Re: Strange experience on CPDL

Post by Claude_T »

Have you tried to see any difference between when you're logged in, or not? Just my two cents.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Wilbour wrote:I had a strange experience on CPDL today
Thank you for notifying us about this issue. There was a mistake in the categorization of this composer: it was associated to the category "French composers" (correct, with lowercase "c") as well as to the non-existing category "French Composers" (wrong, with uppercase "C"), rather than to the general category "Composers". Due to this mistake he was not recognized as a composer, and therefore his works available already were not listed. Furthermore, this triggered strange side effects on the function that attempts to identify whether any available works are missing from the list. This was amplified by the effect of the page cache (the above remark by Claude relates to the fact that logged-in users always receive the latest version of a page, while anonymous users receive the latest cached version - so it is possible that different pages are shown, depending whether the user is logged-in or not).

I've corrected the wrong category, so the problem should be solved now on the main server (www.cpdl.org and www2.cpdl.org). Mirror servers (www0.cpdl.org, www1.cpdl.org, and www3.cpdl.org) will update tomorrow.

Max
Wilbour

Post by Wilbour »

Thank you both for your replies.

I apologize for not responding quicker. I had expected to receive an email notice if there was a reply to my post, so when I didn't receive one, I didn't think of checking in. If such a notice was sent, I am not sure why I did not receive it.

To Claude_T: I don't think I was logged in, but if I was, this did not change between seeing the different versions of the page.

to chorolia: Thanks for your kind reply and for sorting it out.

Best regards
Wilbour
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Wilbour wrote:I had expected to receive an email notice if there was a reply to my post
This depends on your user settings. After having logged-in to the forums click on your username on the top-right of the screen, then select User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit notification options. For various events you can select the type of notification you wish to receive (notification when logging-in, notification via email, both, or none).

Max
Wilbour

Post by Wilbour »

Thank you chorolia for your advice. I have now updated my settings, so, hopefully, it will work in the future.

Best regards
Wilbour
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

This reply is just to test the new settings :roll:
Wilbour

Post by Wilbour »

choralia wrote:This reply is just to test the new settings :roll:
Thank you choralia for helping me to test if the new setting worked. It did, but I still missed the message at the time due to some email problems I had (now sorted). I just checked in on the Forum and saw your message.

Best regards
Wilbour
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Should the default be changed to send e-mail notification by default and people can turn it off if they prefer? I think e-mail notification is what users posting in the forums would expect.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

vaarky wrote:Should the default be changed to send e-mail notification by default and people can turn it off if they prefer?
The creators of phpBB think that the board should not send email unless the specific user provided consent by enabling the corresponding function. This is intended to ensure that email notifications cannot be regarded as unsolicited emails, i.e., spam.

The above approach is a little bit debatable, IMO, however this is the situation, and administrators cannot change this specific setting through the Administration Control Panel.

However, it is possible to activate email notifications by default at a lower level, by editing a php configuration file. So, in principle we can ovverride this intentional limitation.

Max