Search two words

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
Nikolaus Hold

Search two words

Post by Nikolaus Hold »

According to MediaWiki Help, the following applies when searching for 2 words:
a) If Word1 and Word2 are specified, all pages are to be found that contain all (that is, both) words.
b) When searching for "Word1 Word2", all pages containing this string should be found.

I have tried this in several cases.

1. Search for: Alma Redemptoris Mater (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)

1.1 Search: "Alma Redemptoris"; Result: ok
1.2 Search: Alma Redemptoris; Result: ok

2. Search for: Warum ist das Licht gegeben dem Mühseligen, Op. 74, No. 1 (Johannes Brahms)

2.1 Search: "Warum ist"; Result: NO RESULTS
2.2 Search: Warum ist; Result: BAD. The only result is
Andreas Hammerschmidts VI. Stimmige Fest- und Zeit-Andachten Für das Chor (1671)
(see first attached screenshot).
Why is only this page found? The words Warum and ist are there, but this is true as well with e.g.:
O meine Seel, warum bist du betrübet? SWV 419 (Heinrich Schütz).
In neither case do both words appear in the page title, which is otherwise indicated in the result.

2.3 If I enter Warum ist in the search field, in the line below automatically appears the Brahms page I am looking for. When I click on this blue line, as a result comes (see second attached screenshot):
a) There is a page called "Warum ist das Licht gegeben dem Mühseligen, Op. 74, No. 1 (Johannes Brahms)".
b) For your search no results were found.
This is a CONTRADICTION IN TERMS.

3. Search for: Der Stern von Bethlehem (Josef Rheinberger)
3.1 Search: "Der Stern"; Result: NO RESULTS
3.2 Search: Der Stern; Result: NO RESULTS
3.3 No blue line appears, so I search: Der Stern von Bethlehem; Result: NO RESULTS

4. Search for: Bei nächtlicher Weil
4.1 Search: "Bei nächtlicher" Result: NO RESULTS
4.2 Search: Bei nächtlicher; Result: NO RESULTS
4.3 If I enter Bei nächtlicher in the search field, 2 lines automatically appear below (correctly), the first of which is the result I want. When I click on this blue line, as a result comes again the inconsistent result:
a) There is a page called „Bei nächtlicher Weil“.
b) For your search no results were found.
4.4 Search: nächtlicher; Result: ok, the German ä does not matter.

Summary: The search function only works reliably when searching for a single word. This is completely inadequate for a library with more than 30,000 pages.
Attachments
hardcopy2.png
hardcopy1.png
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Search two words

Post by choralia »

Could you please try to do the same when you're logged-in (i.e., when you are operating on www.cpdl.org and not on the read-only mirrors www0.cpdl.org, www1.cpdl.org, www2.cpdl.org, www3.cpdl.org)? Do you obtain the same results?

Max
Nikolaus Hold

Post by Nikolaus Hold »

First, I repeated the test on www1.cpdl.org. Result: unchanged.

Then I logged in as desired.

1. Search for: Alma Redemptoris Mater (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
1.1 Search: "Alma Redemptoris"; Result: There were more results, I had to click on "next 20" twice before I found the page I was looking for.
1.2 Search: Alma Redemptoris; Result: as in 1.1

2. Search for: Warum ist das Licht gegeben dem Mühseligen, Op. 74, No. 1 (Johannes Brahms)
2.1 Search: "Warum ist"; Result: ok, page was immediately found and was the only match under "site title matches".
2.2 Search: Warum ist; Result: ok, same as for 2.1 as far as the "site title matches" are concerned. (I did not compare the other hits.)
2.3 If I enter Warum ist in the search field, in the line below automatically appears the Brahms page I am looking for. When I click on this blue line, as a result comes:
a) There is a page called "Warum ist das Licht gegeben dem Mühseligen, Op. 74, No. 1 (Johannes Brahms)".
b) additionally the result as in 2.2

3. Search for: Der Stern von Bethlehem (Josef Rheinberger)
3.1 Search: "Der Stern"; Result: ok, page was immediately found and was the only match under "site title matches".
3.2 Search: Der Stern; Result: ok, same as for 3.1 as far as the "site title matches" are concerned. The other hits are definitely different (much more).
3.3 No blue line appears (also on this server), so I search: Der Stern von Bethlehem; Result: ok, many results.
3.4 Search: "Der Stern von Bethlehem"; Result: ok, only this page

4. Search for: Bei nächtlicher Weil
4.1 Search: "Bei nächtlicher"; Result: ok
4.2 Search: Bei nächtlicher; Result:ok
4.3 If I enter Bei nächtlicher in the search field, 2 lines automatically appear below (correctly), the first of which is the result I want. When I click on this blue line, as a result comes again the (good) result:
a) There is a page called „Bei nächtlicher Weil“.
b) additionally the result as in 4.2
4.4 Search: nächtlicher; Result: ok

Summary: As you probably suspected, the result is totally different from the server www1.cpdl.org.

Nikolaus Hold
Nikolaus Hold

Post by Nikolaus Hold »

Are you happy that it works so well for logged in users?
I belong to the less happy rest of the world. I never sign up unless I really want to change something, so I can not accidentally do any harm.
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

For what it's worth, I find the search option within standard search engines to be helpful when doing comprehensive searches. That is, I type "CPDL" into the search bar of Google (or Bing or Yahoo or …). Then "search within"; for most of them, if you put your two or three words in quotes, it will find only that combination. The results are different, and the combination of this and CPDL's own search usually gives me what I need.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.