Updates to submission process?

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Updates to submission process?

Post by choralia »

Richard Mix wrote:Since the forum bulletin boards don't show up on my CPDL watchlist
A specific setting exists here on the forums to get notified via email whenever a reply is submitted to a topic of interest for you (i.e., where you posted a message, or that you selected as "subscribed"). I've (hopefully) activated that setting for you now. You may revert the setting through your user settings if you like.
Richard Mix wrote:1. There are some very confusing redirects about which I asked here:
The original Add_work page included a form visible to anybody, including spammers who were able to submit fake contributions. To prevent this problem a specific namespace was created for forms (e.g., Form:Add_work) so that only logged-in users could submit a form. This is the reason why the old Add_work page now redirects to Form:Add_work. Do you think this causes any problems? If the traditional add work process were removed and only the automated process were maintained, both these pages could be deleted, so any problems would disappear.
Richard Mix wrote:2. The form asks for: "Name of editor/contributor"
Whenever a new work or edition is submitted, it is necessary to include information allowing to determine the date when, aside any CPDL or Creative Commons licensing, the work/edition enters the public domain. The field "Name of editor/contributor" is intended to identify the person who created the work/edition submitted, so that it is possible to determine the date when the work/edition enters the public domain in countries where the copyright terms depend on the death date of the editor/contributor. The field "Your email address (for notification/questions)" is instead for the person that submits the work/edition, who is irrelevant from a copyright viewpoint.
Richard Mix wrote:3. A minor complaint is the 'cut-along-dotted lines' output of Add works
Do you think that this would be useful also in the case the traditional add work process were eventually removed?
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

wrote:I've (hopefully) activated that setting for you now
I'll keep an eye out, but no notifications yet. As to the weird page where I left my query, could a brief explanation or a note telling people to ignore it be added?
The field "Name of editor/contributor" is intended to identify the person who created the work/edition submitted
[for copyright reasons.] Since these are so often the same person it seems odd to have the two steps so widely separated, and as I say, I often forget the second one and end up swearing when I get the error message. In any case, "contributor" is never relevant to copyright, is s/he? "Editor/contributor" to identify the first alone is just needlessly confusing.
Do you think that this [fixing the 'cut-along-dotted lines' output of Add works] would be useful also in the case the traditional add work process were eventually removed?
Sounds like much might eventually be a moot point, but then I'm not concerning myself with cleanup in the meantime either :-)
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Richard Mix wrote:As to the weird page where I left my query, could a brief explanation or a note telling people to ignore it be added?
I've added the explanation I provided in my previous post, with minor modifications. Please feel free to improve it.
Richard Mix wrote:Since these are so often the same person it seems odd to have the two steps so widely separated, and as I say, I often forget the second one and end up swearing when I get the error message. In any case, "contributor" is never relevant to copyright, is s/he? "Editor/contributor" to identify the first alone is just needlessly confusing.
I think that the term "contributor" is used to identify somebody who contributes with something that is not juts an edition, such as a new composition, or an arrangement, or a version in a different language, and so on. In this sense, the contributor is definitely relevant from a copyright viewpont. The person who just submits a contribution made by somebody else is sometimes referred to as "submitter". A refinement of the terms can be discussed, of course. As I'm not a native English speaker I usually leave these language matters to native speakers.

Max
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Thanks, the next wanderer might be reassured by that note. You make an excellent point about "contributors" as authors; I was thinking instead of the use of the word for "host" on pages like this one (and an incidental debate with Claude on whether B. Todt counted as an "editor" in making the piano-vocal score, or instead an "arranger"):
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Herr ... tian_Bach)
A lesson in the value of definitions!