Choral Music in Latin Language

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
iyc

Choral Music in Latin Language

Post by iyc »

Hi,

I'm looking for choral song in Latin language (e.g. Ave Maria). I'm not so familiar with the title nor the composer. So please feel free to give me any suggestion, as long as the song is :
- related to theme "Dedicatio Matri Laudata / A Tribute to The Mother of Praise",
- in SATB format
- not in block notation (only if possible), because I prefer in number notation.
- in free sheet music.

Thanks for help.
vaarky

Re: Choral Music in Latin Language

Post by vaarky »

Can you say more about what block notation versus number notation means? I'm not familiar with the terminology.
iyc

Post by iyc »

vaarky wrote:Can you say more about what block notation versus number notation means? I'm not familiar with the terminology.
Hi vaarky,

Sorry for confusing you.
- Block notation means the sheet music written in symbols (e.g. ♪♫).
- Numbers notation means do-re-mi etc written as 1-2-3 etc.

But this is only if possible.

Thank you to give me your songs references.

With my very best regards :)
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Interesting! I have seen only block notation and have not come across anything in numeric notation. Wouldn't it be nice if one of the software packages such as Sibelius or Finale or LilyPond or MUP etc. allowed transposition to that type of notation the same way they allow you to transpose keys in block notation? It would open up an entire world of scores available for your use.
anaigeon

Post by anaigeon »

Might something like ABC notation be a possible intermediate step ?
iyc

Post by iyc »

Dear Vaarky,
Cher/Chère Anaigeon,

Do you have the song references?
You can give me in any kind of notation ...

Thanks in advance ....
Merci en avance ....
Jaquick

Post by Jaquick »

I did a reference stint on Yahoo Answers and got this number/letter notation question all the time. I didn't understand it then and don't understand it now. Apparently there's a subculture of musicians who don't read music. Western musical notion has evolved to most efficiently transmit the required information. It's not perfect, but all alternatives share its chief imperfection: that contiguous notes/staff positions represent different amounts of pitch space (i.e., either a whole or half step, but not consistently one or the other). This is not a flame, this is a request for an answer to "why"?

It doesn't sound like iyc is asking for a specific piece. I'm not sure who "the Mother of Praise" is; it's not an epithet I've heard applied to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Maybe it's an Indonesian thing. If we're talking about the BVM, perhaps we should look at Marian antiphons. Or possibly something dedicated to St. Cecilia (Cantibus Organis?). Once we figure out just what we're looking for, we can tackle the "free" and "number" part.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Jaquick wrote:It doesn't sound like iyc is asking for a specific piece. I'm not sure who "the Mother of Praise" is; it's not an epithet I've heard applied to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Maybe it's an Indonesian thing.
You seem to be right, a competition on this theme was held in Indonesia last week and they asked the participating choirs to present works related to this subject:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... =&ie=UTF-8
pml
Site Admin

Post by pml »

I'm fairly sure Guido of Arezzo didn't view the ambiguity of the stave to be an imperfection ;-)

As for the translation, it's caused by the subordinate clause being misplaced - surely the sentence should read "Hymn of Praise to the Mother" rather than "Hymn to the Mother of Praise"?
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Yes, the translation they gave to Dedicatio Matri Laudata is quite ambiguous; it could be more properly translated as "Consecration to the praiseworthy Mother" (they should have used Tributum for "Tribute", IMHO)