Looking for "liturgy music" but not sure what it is properly called

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
KoreyPeters

Looking for "liturgy music" but not sure what it is properly called

Post by KoreyPeters »

Hi everyone,

I'm working to start a more liturgical service at my church. I attend the Calgary Anglican Cathedral most Sundays and the Rector sings a lot of the service. I'm looking for examples and sheet music that I can use in the same way at my other church.

I realize that most of my problem is that I don't really know what this type of music is called (I was raised Fundamentalist, so this sort of things is new to me). But it usually involves singing almost all of a sentence on one note, then a few up/down notes for the last syllable. It's not Anglican Psalm Chant, which is great, but not what I need.

Basically, I have long passages of text I want to sing and I'm looking for recommendations. Ideally they must be singable solo, but if there are choral ornamentation, that would be excellent.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
vaarky

Re: Looking for "liturgy music" but not sure what it is properly called

Post by vaarky »

If you know snippets of the text you would like to use, then you might want to enter some of the text in the search box on CPDL to find settings that use that text.

Checking the categories at the bottom of the page will help you learn what types of categories and subcategories match.

You can also try the Multi-Category Search function at:
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Chor ... ory_Search

You'll want to specify the voicing and accompaniment and language type you want. Select Sacred as your category. I'm not sure which of the optional subcategories of Sacred would work for you, but the approach above of checking some example texts should help if others here don't have ideas for you, or you can leave the subcategories of Sacred blank to see what songs come up.

Best wishes on your search!
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

You might do well to visit the MusicaSacra Forum of the Church Music Association of America (CMAA) which, although mainly connected with Catholic liturgical and sacred music, nonetheless has a significant Anglican following and participation.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
cgz

Post by cgz »

It sounds as if what you're looking for is a way of singing things such as collects and lessons. Tones exist for those, and these can be found in a book called the Liber Usualis. Additionally, there are ways of chanting psalms, using something imaginatively called "psalm tones". Those are also found in theLiber Usualis, with psalms attached to them. The format can be a little intimidating for those who aren't familiar with it, but I encourage you to check the sections I've mentioned, all of which are available for download (from CMAA) or purchase (also, I think, from CMAA, but hard copy books are from other sources, too.)
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

From your description, it seems that you are looking for "Falsobordone" settings. See this very informative Video (by "Early Music Sources") for an introduction and an explanation of the difference to "fauxbourdon" and "faburden":

https://youtu.be/j9y5N13un9s

Unfortunately, there is no category "Falsobordone" on CPDL, but searching for the term yields some results.

@CPDL team: Should this category be added?