A new category "odes to music"?

CPDL topics that don't fit in the other categories
Jonathang

A new category "odes to music"?

Post by Jonathang »

Is it worth having a new category for works which extol the virtues of music? Examples may be found in the compositions of Schubert, Purcell, Tomkins, Bateson, Handel and Lassus to name only the best known composers.

Jonathan
Richard Mix

Re: A new category "odes to music"?

Post by Richard Mix »

BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

I think a new category would be appropriate, perhaps generalized to Category:Music about music – not all such are Odes. And you are right, Richard, this would not be a genre or subgenre; this is a cross-genre concept. See for example Music, when soft voices die (Charles Hubert Hastings Parry).

I created a new category, Music about music. Feel free to add this category to whatever work pages you find appropriate.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
cjshawcj

Post by cjshawcj »

I agree that Bateson and Daniel Purcell are well-known, but who, pray, are the others?

I think that this category is really not necessary, and will fall into immediate desuetude - like that classifying pieces by mode.

If a new category is being opened, I would nominate a dustbin labelled plainly "Songs", to describe those items which are not Art songs, Arias, Consort or Lute songs, Folksongs or Partsongs. I am currently uploadinging C18th orchestral accompanied song which is neither pointy-headed enough to be labelled Art nor sophisticated enough to be labelled Aria (think English theatrical/pleasure garden songs e.g. Beggar's Opera excerpts)
Jonathang

The new category "Music about music"?

Post by Jonathang »

I am pleased to say that the category "Music about music" has been created and already has 40 works including masterpieces such as Schubert's "An die Musik", Purcell's "Music for a while" and Lassus' "Musica Dei donum optimi". There are plenty more waiting to be published as modern editions!

Jonathan
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

That's great. Should we have a Category about Categories? :)