Problems with Sibelius Scorch

CPDL topics that don't fit in the other categories
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Problems with Sibelius Scorch

Post by CHGiffen »

It seems that just about every time I try to view a score on SibeliusMusic (where many of the CPDL Sibelius scores are hosted), I'm told I have to install Scorch - even when Scorch is already installed! The installation process is time consuming, because, after receiving an error message, I first have to remove the already installed copy of Scorch, go through the installation process, agreeing to Sibelius's terms (whatever they are), and then hope to heaven that the installation proceeds normally. And then, at SibeliusMusic, for about 15-20 seconds I get a browser message (not responding) before, at long last, Scorch opens.

This is a ridiculous burden for SibeliusMusic to put upon users who would like to view or download scores from their site.

I'm of the opinion that CPDL should strongly urge (or perhaps demand) that scores in Sibelius format submitted to CPDL should be submitted in PDF form, to save users like me 10-15 minutes time in jumping through flaming hoops just to get to view and download a score.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Hi Chuck,

I seldom used Scorch. I totally agree with you about the use of pdf format.

However, using other plug-ins I noted some odd behaviour with Microsoft Internet Explorer, while Mozilla Firefox appears much more robust and consistent. If you experience these problems with Scorch and you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer, I would suggest to try Mozilla Firefox instead as a possible solution.

Regards.

Max
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

The Scorch problem seems only to crop up for scores hosted at SibeliusMusic, which makes me think that SibeliusMusic itself is the problem.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
MandyShaw

Post by MandyShaw »

This is because when you upload a score onto SibeliusMusic it is automatically converted to a format that requires the very latest version of Scorch. The score will be automatically re-converted when the next Scorch version appears, as well. All this is the source of much frustration to the uploader of the score, not just because of the need to keep re-installing Scorch, but also because playback sounds can change in an unpredictable manner from one Scorch version to another. Also, SibeliusMusic will only let you print to a 'real' printer, not, for example, to a PDF file. SibeliusMusic is a useful mechanism for score delivery over the web - if you want to charge for a score it does do all the credit card processing for you, and it does help with search engine optimisation - but it certainly has its limitations. We have started offering PDFs (though only by email) as well as Scorch downloads for our scores, and a lot of people do seem to like this option, but obviously making PDFs available on demand is best of all.