Does anyone speak Swedish?

CPDL topics that don't fit in the other categories
Cdalitz

Does anyone speak Swedish?

Post by Cdalitz »

Dear all,

I am currently transcribing a Swedish Psalm setting from a manuscript by Johan Helmich Roman. While his handwriting is very clear, I am not always sure where the words end. Does anyone in this forum understand Swedish and were ready to proof-read the text? Obviously, the bible translation is baroque or earlier, so some tolerance will be necessary with respect to orthography (I would like to preserve the original orthography).

Thanks,

Chris
DaveF
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone speak Swedish?

Post by DaveF »

Chris,

A search on "Swedish Bible" turns up lots of online resources - although perhaps your setting is a metrical version at several removes from the original psalm?

It's not my place to volunteer him, but Iman de Zwarte (user IdZ), who is a Dutchman living in Norway, gave me a lot of help a couple of years ago with my (very slowly ongoing) Nielsen hymn editions - admittedly they are Danish/Norwegian, but it wouldn't surprise me if he knew Swedish as well.

DF
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

Thanks for the pointer to Iman, let's see whether he can even speak Swedish.

The text used by Roman is actually a prose translation, but I could only find modern Swedish bible translations on the internet, which is somewhat surprising as modern translations are usually covered by copyright and may thus not be freely distributed.

I bet that the translation used by Roman is from the "Gustav Vasa Bible", which I could not find online. I have also googled for a literal phrase from the psalm, but wihtout success.

Thanks, Chris
IdZ

Post by IdZ »

Hello Chris,
I've send you a direct mail.
Let's give it a try.