Staff size variations within systems in Finale

CPDL topics that don't fit in the other categories
marchesa

Staff size variations within systems in Finale

Post by marchesa »

I've got an odd problem that has crept into a couple of recent scores I've done in Finale 2009. Does anyone have experience with this problem and/or advice?

Within one system or another, for example: in an SATB a cappella piece, the music looks normal for the first two systems, but in the third system the soprano and alto staffs and notes are larger than the tenor and bass. In the next system or sometimes two systems later, the staffs are back to normal and all the same size. I've checked system reduction and page reduction settings, removed them, removed staff attributes etc, but cannot seem to clear the problem. It is annoying and I cannot find a way to fix it. The staff/system settings are set to the normal values as far as I can tell, the settings are the same in the systems that look good and those that look bad. Any advice would be appreciated! :!:

~Paul Marchesano
Philadelphia PA
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Staff size variations within systems in Finale

Post by carlos »

Sorry Paul, the Finale I use is version 2006! If you're using a registered version, you might try contacting MakeMusic's customer support. If not, you could try leaving a message at their forums at forum.makemusic.com.
marchesa

Post by marchesa »

Thanks Carlos. It may have happened in earlier versions too, but I'm taking it to the Finale Forums too.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

I've not encountered this problem either. Primarily, I use Finale 2005 (even though I upgrade every year), mostly because of the lack of backwards compatibility. What edition do you use, and have you checked for a (free) maintenance update? It is not uncommon for Finale to issue such updates to fix bugs (for example, Finale 2005 had updates 2005a and 2005b).

Let us know how it turns out!

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki