R.I.P. Richard Proulx (1937-2010)

CPDL topics that don't fit in the other categories
CHGiffen
Site Admin

R.I.P. Richard Proulx (1937-2010)

Post by CHGiffen »

I just learned of the passing of Richard Proulx (1937-2010)

Richard Proulx, renowned composer and conductor, died Thursday, 18 February 2010 at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in Chicago. Born in Saint Paul, MN on 3 April 1937, Proulx was Organist and Director of Music from 1980 - 1994 at the Cathedral of the Holy Name in Chicago. During his tenure at Holy Name, he did much to strengthen the Cathedral's outreach to the city it served by establishing an extensive and innovative music program. The concert series, “Music for a Great Space,” involved the Cathedral choirs with many of the finest instrumentalists in the Chicago area. He led the Cathedral choirs on tours through the Midwest in 1982 and 1991, and in Europe in 1988. Proulx was also responsible for the planning and installation of two new mechanical-action organs for the Cathedral – Casavant II/19 (Quebec, 1981) and Flentrop IV/71 (Holland, 1989). Before coming to Chicago, Proulx served for 10 years (1970 – 1980) at Saint Thomas Church, Medina/Seattle, WA, where he directed three choirs and chamber orchestra, established a tradition of liturgical handbell ringing, and was organist at Temple de Hirsch Sinai. Previous positions included Saint Charles Parish, Tacoma, WA; Saint Stephen's Church, Seattle, WA; and 15 years (1953–1968) at Church of The Holy Childhood in Saint Paul, MN.

Richard Proulx was a widely published composer of more than 300 works, including congregational music in every form, sacred and secular choral works, song cycles, two operas, and instrumental and organ music. He served as a consultant for such denominational church hymnals as The Hymnal 1982 (Episcopal Church), New Yale Hymnal, the Methodist Hymnal, Worship II & III, (Roman Catholic Church), and has contributions in the Mennonite Hymnal and the Presbyterian Hymnal. Proulx was a member of The Standing Commission on Church Music of the Episcopal Church and was a founding member of The Conference of Roman Catholic Cathedral Musicians. He conducted choral festivals and workshops across the country as well as in Canada, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Scotland, Australia, and New Zealand.

(more at http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/obit ... 2234.story )
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
pml
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Richard Proulx (1937-2010)

Post by pml »

A very sad loss, I know a number of people who worked with him on his occasional Australian visits (which were infrequent enough for me to not have had the opportunity to meet him) and were the beneficiaries of his compositions and great humour. Vale, Richard.

PML