Jewish songs

CPDL topics that don't fit in the other categories
nolinesbarred

Jewish songs

Post by nolinesbarred »

Our small a cappella group will be singing some Christmas songs soon but we'd like to sing a couple of Jewish songs too - appropriate to the season (Hanukkah?).

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.
nolinesbarred

Re: Jewish songs

Post by nolinesbarred »

One of the helpful members of a book-site that I frequent - LibraryThing.com - has suggested 'Mi Yimalel', and has posted the lyrics for us. I like the choir in this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmiGBOqlK18

Can anyone suggest where we might find an a cappella SAB or SATB sheet music arrangement of this song? ('Free' would be best!) I can't find it here on the CPDL, but I might not be looking in the right place (again).
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

I also checked CPDL and found very few traditional Jewish songs (not considering the works by Salamone Rossi). I listed all works in Hebrew and also made a general search for the word "jewish". Sorry, have no idea where you can find these songs for free.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Some dead ends, to spare anyone looking:
SheetMusicPlus.com does not have a choral arrangement of it, only solo voice.

Western Wind apparently recorded it, but it was only monophonic:
http://www.shadowpress.biz/catalog.html

I came across this, but it's only a one-pager rather than a complete score--might be worth contacting the person whose address is posted there.
http://www.lashon.net/CL/Songsheets/Hanukah.cgi

The YouTube URL you posted indicates that it's performed by the SF School of the Arts under Todd Wedge. The school's web page has a way to contact faculty member Todd Wedge:
http://www.sfsota.org/staff-pages

Todd Wedge is formerly of Chanticleer:
http://www.chanticleer.org/blog/press-and-blog/page/2/

If you don't hear back from him within 2 weeks of reaching out to inquire about the edition, please post an update here. It looks like one of the singers in that video is in a group I sing with weekly, so he may have information about who did that score.
nolinesbarred

Post by nolinesbarred »

Yet again I am really touched by the trouble you kind people here at the CPDL go to in order to help others.

I'll have a look at those links you provided vaarky; emailing the SF School of the Arts man looks like a good idea if I can't find a SAB or SATB arrangement elsewhere.

Thanks again.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

Sadly, the only traditional Hebrew songs we have at CPDL are "The Dreydl Song" and "Tsena tsena" ... I wish we had more.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
nolinesbarred

Post by nolinesbarred »

After further searching for this music with no luck at all I decided to email Todd Wedge using the form on the website for the SF School of the Arts, only to have my email sent back to me (To: Me, From: Me). Very odd.

I'm not sure what I can do next to contact Mr. Wedge.... Any ideas?

Thanks.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

The staff page that lists the non-functional e-mail mechanism to reach Todd Wedge lists phone numbers for some of the school's faculty. Maybe leaving a message with one of them that the e-mail mechanism is broken and that you're hoping to contact Todd might do it.

Alternatively, you can e-mail me via the private e-mail link at http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vaarky (you must be logged into your main CPDL account) the exact text of the message you are trying to get to Todd, with whatever contact information you are trying to transmit, and I'll see if the singer in the video he conducted can get it to him at our next weekly rehearsal, otherwise I'll ask Matt from Chanticleer if he can forward the e-mail to Todd.
nolinesbarred

Post by nolinesbarred »

Thanks vaarky - I'll email you soon. (People here waiting for food just now!)
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Got your e-mail, and am sending it to Matt now. Will ask the chorister in the video too when I see him this week.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

The student singer in the video said the song was not arranged by Todd Wedge (who conducted it), but rather by another faculty member. I believe he said her name was Kristin (sp?) Scott, because I immediately thought of the actress, but there's no similar name on the faculty list.

He said it was essentially set as a round. He'll see what he can find, or perhaps reaching Todd will help get in in touch with the woman who did the edition...
nolinesbarred

Post by nolinesbarred »

Thanks vaarky,

I've been thinking that if the trail peters out at the SFSOTA, I could get the one-sheeter you mentioned in an above link (haven't looked at it yet) and work out how we could sing it as a round - shouldn't be too difficult should it (rhetorical question)?

Thanks again.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

FYI, Matt from Chanticleer just wrote that he would pass your note along to Todd, so that might help (though it sounds like it is probably not Todd's own edition so Todd would not be the final step).
nolinesbarred

Post by nolinesbarred »

Thanks vaarky.... One step nearer! Please thank you friend who's helping too.
nolinesbarred

Post by nolinesbarred »

Good news: Kristen Brown has sent me the sheet music with helpful information about how her group played around with the simple melody so effectively.
It will be fun to sing.

To all who helped: Thank you (from the other side of the Pacific Ocean).

If I knew how to put one of those silly 'smilies' here it would be the first one on the top line.

Kay