So glad to hear it!
vaarky

Re: Jewish songs

Post by vaarky »

P.S. It's a small world after all. :)
nolinesbarred

Post by nolinesbarred »

Amazingly so vaarky; the foregoing conversation and its satisfying outcome for our little singing group has really brought that home to me.
Thankyou CPDL!
D-fished

Post by D-fished »

Hi nolinesbarred et al.

I direct the Vancouver Jewish Folk Choir here in Canada, and of course, we have goodly amount of Hannukah material (English, Yiddish, Hebrew and Judæo-Spanish) in our repertoire. I'm sorry to say that I only just joined CPDL and it's probably too late to help you for this year, but I'll upload the arrangements that I hold the copyright to, anyway. No doubt, other CPDL users have been and will be looking for such material. These include Ma'oz Tsur (a lovely tune from the German synagogue of Venice), Mi Y'malel, Al Hanisim, Hanerot Halalu and O, Ir Kleyne Likhtelekh. We have others, but copyright concerns won't allow me to post them. I should have them up on the server in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
D-fished
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

That's great, thank you! There have definitely been user inquiries and your contributions would be very welcome.

(P.S. also enjoyed reading your posting about "ficta" and similar adaptations in Renaissance music.)
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

I'm thinking we'll need to have a category for Hanukkah, similar to:
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Christmas

Once we get enough scores, I think it would also be good to have a unifying page for "Music for Jewish Religious Holidays", similar to the existing page for Christmas & Advent music at:
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Chor ... mas_season

And we should also include alternate spellings of Hanukkah (within the unifying page) so a search finds it; maybe redirects too?

Would these be the best approach to making the music findable? Are there scores already on CPDL that we can use to start propagating a Hanukkah category? A keyword search on the 4 spellings I know of didn't result in any hits, but please point me to any if I missed 'em.

--Vaarky