Categorisation by sex

CPDL topics that don't fit in the other categories
Jonathang

Categorisation by sex

Post by Jonathang »

Can I suggest creating categories for choral works which were clearly intended to be sung originally either by male or by female voices? The latter category seems quite rare - an obvious example is "Nous voyons que les hommes" by Arcadelt. Less obviously there is "Al subir para el empíreo" by Torres where it seems unlikely that the "tenor" was intended to be sung by a mature male voice.

Jonathan
anaigeon

Re: Categorisation by sex

Post by anaigeon »

I'm afraid that in many cases any statement about this would be speculative ; after all, even the text isn't, definetely, an indication (for example, in the baroque period, female characters have been played and sung by men). Just my cent, I'll be interested in expert opinions.
Jonathang

Re: Categorisation by sex

Post by Jonathang »

I agree that it is often difficult to know whether, for instance, a soprano or alto part in a choral work was intended to be sung by male or female voices, so that this categorisation should be used with caution. That said, there are cases where the intention is clear and since choral works from the baroque and earlier periods aimed at exclusively female voices are rare it seems to me to be worth tagging them when they can be found.