Misspelling of Composer's name

CPDL topics that don't fit in the other categories
Ian_Haslam

Misspelling of Composer's name

Post by Ian_Haslam »

The English composer Alan Gray appears on the CPDL site as Alan Grey. Can someone in Admin correct this error as I will want to post some new editions for this composer?
vaarky

Re: Misspelling of Composer's name

Post by vaarky »

Chuck, can you say more about this? It looks like you had been involved in favor of spelling it Grey. Aside from which one is determined to be canonical, any reason not to add a redirect so both spellings reach the composer page?
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

I've moved the composer page to Alan Gray. Not recalling previous discussion, I'm guessing that Peter Gibson (who supplied an edition of the F major Evening Service) got the name wrong and we simply went with it; however, the links to Gibson's scores don't seem to work, so I moved the page. At any rate, I'm certain now (even if I didn't know before) that the correct name is Alan Gray.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
PeterGibson

Post by PeterGibson »

I have, just under 5 minutes ago, completed the uploading of files and correcting links for the Evening Service in F minor (Alan Gray) (including the composer page).
Having checked back to the Stainer & Bell edition I used as source, I can confirm the ambiguity of spelling was a foul-up on my part (sometime I must learn to read what is on the page, and not what I think is there!).

Peter