A Copyright Issue

CPDL topics that don't fit in the other categories
choralia
Site Admin

Re: A Copyright Issue

Post by choralia »

What about re-submitting the video to YouTube, with a clear statement about the check performed on the copyright status of this work? This may discourage anybody to submit bogus copyright claims.

BTW, when I checked copyright I first searched on Worldcat. The first edition reported by Worldcat (at least based on the search keys that I used) was a Schirmer edition dated 1925. At that point in time I suspected that the claimant was Schirmer, based on an "Editio Princeps" term still valid in the US. I was going to check whether a valid copyright registration was made in 1925 and renewed in 1953, but then I found that a 1881 edition was mentioned on IMSLP, which makes "Editio Princeps" clearly not applicable.

The copyright clarification text may be something like:
This performance is based on CPDL edition #03073, which can be freely performed and recorded. The work itself is public domain all over the world, as it is a SATB arrangement by Tchaikovsky (died in 1893) of the original work by Bortniansky (died in 1825). The SATB arrangement was certainly published in 1881 as an item of the collection "Choral complete sacred works by Dmytro Bortniansky". These elements make this work ineligible for copyright, including "Editio princeps" provisions, in the US as well as in any other countries.
Max
Antonyx

Post by Antonyx »

Hello Carlos.

I will check out those sites.

many thanks.

David.
Antonyx

Post by Antonyx »

@ Choralia,

Brilliant, Max. I will proceed as you suggest.

It will take me a little while as I am caught up in choir matters probably for the rest of the week. The weekend, however, would be a good time to get going on it!

David.
Antonyx

Post by Antonyx »

Just an update on this.

I explained the position to the choir. They also appreciate the help and advice I have received here, so I convey their thanks too. However, rather than have me upload their old performance again, they have asked me to allow then to make a fresh video They feel they can do better. As we are in the middle of a busy programme for Christmas, and a trip in 2013, it will take some juggling with out schedule. However, I will take great pleasure uploading the new performance with advice and help I have received here embodied as support for the piece being in the public domain.

Such support all round leaves me with a worm glow!

Thanks

David.