REPERTOIRE FOR NEW INTERGENERATIONAL CHOIR

A forum for new users, and for old users to greet the new ones
tchrmgr1

REPERTOIRE FOR NEW INTERGENERATIONAL CHOIR

Post by tchrmgr1 »

Help! I am about to be hired to be the choral conductor of a multi-generational, multi-ethnic community choir. No auditions required; although an intermediate skill level suggested. We may have choristers from 18 y/o to 80 y/o! This is a brand new choir with no previous performances. I'm supposed to do several concerts a year. I’m terrified about repertoire. Should I try to find simple two-part pieces or should I assume SATB? I would love to do a classical piece but worry about difficulty. For example, something like O Magnum Mysterium (de Victoria) would seem to me to be far too difficult, even though it can be done as a basic canon in SATB format. I think I need something far less challenging. Any suggestions for appropriate pieces? Thanks all!
choralia
Site Admin

Re: REPERTOIRE FOR NEW INTERGENERATIONAL CHOIR

Post by choralia »

My (totally biased :) ) suggestion is to select works from the Choralia website, as the availability of training aids where one can listen to notes and lyrics, to adjust speed while going through the learning curve, etc., helps a lot singers with limited skills and sight-singing capabilities. Choralia's training aids are eveno used a lot by visually impaired singers who cannot read music (and singing in a choir may be especially important for them, being a social activity that is feasible for visually impaired persons also).

If you like, we can through Choralia's catalogue (it includes more than 1200 works) and find some work that may be best for your choir.

Max
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

Some time has passed since your question, but here is nevertheless a suggestion.

You might consider two part pieces that are set in "double counterpoint", i.e. that sound equally well when sung by mixed voices or with voices exchanged.

You do not write whether sacred music is an option, but if yes, my (admittedly biased) suggestion would be this two part Esperanto mass setting. It utilizes not only two part texture that works with mixed voices, but also includes canonic sections, which might awake apetite for more ambitious pieces. Amd the language fits the multi ethnic character of your group.

Hopefully, there are similar secular pieces avialable on CPDL.
cgz

Post by cgz »

I'm a year late, but I have some thoughts, if you're still reading them. If you're not reading them, maybe someone else will.

1) Temporarily disregard the multigenerational and multiethnic nature of the choir. Establish criteria which the music you choose will have, first. That way, the music can form people of multiple generations and ethnicities or cultures, rather than be driven by these criteria.

2) Vary the texture of the pieces you choose. That way, you can expose everyone to unison works, rounds, multi-part works, those which require instruments and those which don't permit them.

3) If this is part of your gift, think about writing for the group you have.

4) See if, in your planning, you have multiple settings of the same text, or multiple works by the same composer, or across many centuries (countries, land masses) or merely within one particular century (country, land mass).