MXL vs. XML

A forum for new users, and for old users to greet the new ones
DupuisMC

MXL vs. XML

Post by DupuisMC »

Today I have published my first composition in the CPDL. So far so good. I have successfully uploaded and linked PDF, MID and MP3 files to my work. However, I have somehow failed to link an uploaded MXL file. For a reason which is unknown to me I get an error when trying to link an MXL file to my work item. By the way, the icon table in https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Tem ... LabelTable is confusing. Nowhere does it mention .MXL files. It does, however, mention .XML files. Is that a mistake?

The type of error I get is this: NewScore.gif (Posted 2021-12-14) CPDL #67122: .............. [[Media:<filename here>.mxl|Template:Mxl]] The MXL icon does not show alongside the icons for PDF. MID and MP3.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Any help is appreciated.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Re: MXL vs. XML

Post by CHGiffen »

For some reasons that go back to when uncompressed .musicxml files were more common (now pretty much deprecate) than compressed .mxl file (the current standard, at least here at CPDL), either type of file gets tagged with the template {{XML}}. The template {{MXL}} was added in the Edition notes section to flag the file as a compressed .mxl file. But the {{MXL}} template had basically fallen into disuse and is not necessary.

The suggests that the {{XML}} template should be renamed as {{mxl}}, and the old {{MXL}} template suppressed completely. If an uncompressed .musicxml file should happen to be uploaded, it should be given a template {{musicxml}} or {{xml}} (as not in existence) ... with the expectation that admins will compress it and replace it with an .mxl file.

Anyway, I checked the history of your submission, found the .mxl file and added it to your posted edition, together with the (currently correct}} template ( {{XML}} ).
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki