that prolific and long-lived composer...

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
Richard Mix

that prolific and long-lived composer...

Post by Richard Mix »

I just made a Category:Trent codices, thinking it would help to have subcategories of anonymous. The latter, however, is treated as a composer page and apparently maintained by hand! Is it best to leave it this way and just add lots of external links to the editions by Renato Calcaterra and others?
carlos
Site Admin

Re: that prolific and long-lived composer...

Post by carlos »

That's a good title!
As for your question, we already have a Category:Anonymous compositions, which, as a matter of fact, displays a content almost identical to that of this prolific composer's page, with the advantage of being populated automatically. The Anonymous page is becoming quite large; I suppose that sometime ahead we'll have to break it into Anonymous the Elder and Anonymous the Younger :D
Your suggestion to abandon it in favor of the category system for anonymous works is fine by me, but we must also hear what the other admins have to say about it.
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

I think we discussed the possibility of converting composer pages to categories some time ago and came to the conclusion that we wanted to keep ChoralWiki as useful as possible for users by retaining score links on composer pages. Also, having more flexible composer pages means that lists of sacred/secular or solo/choral works can be included, rather than a standard A-Z list every time.

But the question here is - should we have a category page just for the Anonymous page? My feeling is that we should not, and not just because it would be inconsistent with other composer pages. Using just wiki category for this long composer page would mean that all anonymous works cannot be viewed on the same page (there is a 200 entry maximum per page for categories). In my opinion, this would make it inconvenient for users who want to see all anonymous works at the same time.

Rob
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Yikes, I moved a few things from Anon to Gregorian chant, which I'll wager is about to hit the 200 barrier if it hasnt already: this could certainly be organized in a non-A-Z fashion, given a(nother) volunteer (Gregorian Chant by Season categories?). If Anon were to be a category, I think it could be managed by keeping things to subpages- there are already quite a few pages beginning with the word cancionero... for example.

In the meantime, should Renato and Sabine Cassola's editions use the composer template with "Trent codices" pointing to the category page, with "anon", or eschew the template and be hand-added to a Trent composer-page?

If this subject is likely to keep coming up, is Talk:Anon a better forum?
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

bobnotts wrote:But the question here is - should we have a category page just for the Anonymous page? Using just wiki category for this long composer page would mean that all anonymous works cannot be viewed on the same page (there is a 200 entry maximum per page for categories). In my opinion, this would make it inconvenient for users who want to see all anonymous works at the same time.
Hi Rob, what I had in mind was something a bit different: the "composer" page would be kept, with a layout very close to what it is today, but it would be automated in the same fashion as lyricists pages are, by using DPL code. Doing it this way, the 200 entries limit is avoided. See here what I mean:

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/User ... /Anonymous

Now compare it to the actual Anonymous page:
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Anonymous

:)
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

I just had another idea while looking at [[Nobis Est Natus (Anonymous)]]. Could the composer template be made to automatically subcatagorize anonymous pages that had a link in the published: field? Also stumbled on Category:Music facsimiles: how was this meant to be used?
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Category:Music facsimiles is meant to be added to works pages when at least one of its editions is a fac-simile of a printed score (i.e., scanned, not typeset).

As for your other suggestion, sorry but I didn't get it, could you please give a few examples?
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Sure: I was imagining finding [[Nobis Est Natus (Anonymous)]] in a subcategory of [[Category:Anonymous compositions]] named [[Category:Codex Speciálník compositions]], and fantasized that somebody could program things to achieve that with a code like:

{{Composer|Anonymous}}<br>

Publication: [[Codex Speciálník]]

More realistically, I wonder if {{Composer|Anonymous|Codex Speciálník}} is easily feasable?