Help in correcting an unusual error

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Mike Gibson

Help in correcting an unusual error

Post by Mike Gibson »

I posted a Schubert pdf (CPDL#20766) last year with the wrong title! It is posted as 'Magnificat D483' but should be 'Magnificat D486'. I have revised the pdf and now have a correct version but I am at a loss to know how best to replace the version posted. I think it would be safest to remove the existing version completely and then post the revised version as a new work as simple page amandment may leave some odd URLs in the system. Please advise how I should proceed.
Claude_T

Re: Help in correcting an unusual error

Post by Claude_T »

Hi, Mike,
I suggest you :
1. Rename the page, clicking on the 'Rename' tab at the top : Magnificat, D486 (Franz Schubert)
A redirection from the old to the new page will be automatically implemented and all the links to the old page will lead to the new one.
Only one non-dynamic link at this time leads to the old page : it's on your talk page where Bob cites it. You can change the link manually.

2. Upload the new PDF and the renamed MIDI files, notating the path of each on the server.

3. Note the path of the old files
Correct the links on the work page and the composer's page

4. I don't know how to delete the two superfluous, erroneously named files.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

The old files can be deleted by SysOps, and maybe (but I'm not sure) by the same user who submitted them. In reality, files are never deleted: they are just moved to a specific archive area where users cannot accidentally download them. The wiki does not allow to completely delete files, in order to prevent possible loss of data as a consequence of user mistakes or hacker attacks.

Max
Mike Gibson

Post by Mike Gibson »

Thank you for your advice - but I am no further forward! My musical skills far exceed my IT skills! I cannot find a 'RENAME' tab, so cannot follow the instructions. If I were to send the new files to someone clever so that they could post them for me and clear up the mess of the redundant old files it would save me making an even greater confusion. Any volunteers?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Hi Mike, just upload the new files and copy-and-paste their URLs either here at the forums or into an email sent to addscore (at) cpdl.org. The "add score team" will fix everything.

Max
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

I think Claude meant to the "Move" tab (instead of the nonexistent "Rename" tab). :)
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Hi Mike, just upload the new files and copy-and-paste their URLs either here at the forums or into an email sent to addscore (at) cpdl.org. The "add score team" will fix everything.
We should not be doing this because it creates a duplicate edition. Simply move the page to the correct title and correct the links on the page. If you're unsure, put a {{Cleanup|reason}} tag on the page and someone will fix it.
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

For the sake of clarity, Rob: I proposed Mike just to upload the new files without filling the "add work" form (which would actually create a new edition number). If the URLs of the files are provided to us via email or through the forums, we can do the rest without creating a duplicated edition.

Max
Mike Gibson

Post by Mike Gibson »

I am sorry I may have made a greater mess then before. But I have now emailed the files to addscore@cpdl.org so I hope it can be sorted out.

Thank you all for trying to help. I promise to try to be more 'error free' in the future!

Mike
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

No problem Mike, I replied to your e-mail, please check your mail box.

Regards,
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration